Pineapples are one of the best fruits that grow on this planet. In fact, people have discovered numerous ways to enjoy this deliciously sweet fruit. From drinks and desserts to salads and main dishes, you will be amazed at the number of recipes that feature pineapples. If you’ve ever wondered about where pineapples originally came from, how they are farmed, and other interesting facts, then continue reading today’s post and contact Aloha Vacation Villas to learn about our luxury vacation rentals in Kapalua Bay.
Origins of the Pineapple
Believe it or not, historians believe that the pineapples origins are South American — the area between Brazil and Paraguay, to be precise. Later, they were imported to Europe and eventually appeared in Hawaii around 1813.
If you enjoy having interesting bits of information that you can share with others, then keep reading to learn some of the most interesting pineapple trivia!
- Hummingbirds are the natural pollinators for pineapple
- Wild pineapples that are pollinated by bats do the opposite of the majority of flowers by opening them at night and closing them at day
- Two years is the average time for a pineapple plant to produce fruit
- Each pineapple plant produces just one pineapple per year
- Grow your own pineapple by planting the top of one in rich soil
- You cannot use pineapple in jello — it won’t jell
- Picked pineapples cannot continue to ripen and an unripe pineapple is not only disgusting, but also poisonous
- The pineapple core is edible despite being tough
- The Hawaiian word for pineapple is Hala kahiki
Pineapple tours are a great way to see first-hand how they are grown, processed, and distributed. Depending on your interests, you can even book a tour with lunch, or learn how pineapples are being used in a number of different tropical drinks. Some pineapple plantations even offer zipline tours! Depending on your preference and experience, you can choose either an introductory zipline or a more extreme zipline course on that is longer, higher, and faster.
More Pineapple Trivia
If you’re like us, then you were captivated by the previous list of pineapple trivia, and so we have some more interesting tidbits to share with you.
- Pineapples are actually many berries that have grown together to form one fruit
- Historically, they were useful on long boat trips to help prevent scurvy
- Since pollination is required for seed formation, but seeds have a negative effect on the taste, pineapples are grown through vegetative reproduction, or cloning
- You can trick pineapples into flowering using smoke, which is how the plants can produce more than one pineapple per year
At Aloha Vacation Villas in Kapalua Bay, we are passionate about Hawaii, including pineapple. We know that when you get ready to plan your vacation, you want to prepare for all of the fun activities and sights that our island has to offer. As you think about the things that will help you to fully relax, don’t forget the most important aspect — your luxury vacation rental! We offer a wide variety of options to provide you with the space and amenities you need to fully enjoy your time here on Maui. Be sure to call Aloha Vacation Villas today and reserve your luxury vacation rental in Kapalua Bay.